Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Striking and Fielding Games- Teach or not?

When you hear someone talking about striking and fielding games, what sports do you think of?  Probably baseball or softball I would say you'd think of.  I heard that striking and fielding games might be taken out of the curriculum for Physical Education.  I would agree with them doing this because those sports have a lot of standing around and they encourage us not to teach sports/activities where the students stand around a lot.  And also with these sports you are not involved unless you are batting, or the ball is hit to you.  I still like these sports but too much standing around.  Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I've never taken Striking/Fielding yet but I agree with you. In an effective physical education class the students should be moving If they aren't they are not getting a good experience. If we aren't going to use it in an actual we shouldn't have to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with this argument. I do feel that there is a lot of waiting around time, however, there is still more to be taught. Baseball for one is an American Past time in sports and the fundamentals of these games can still be taught to students. As educators we don't need to do full units on them but we can still take two classes or so to include them. Also, any team sport is teaching communication, team work, and cooperation. There are strategies and techniques, and skills that go into these striking and fielding games that can be used for many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. With the standing around, there is very little MVPA. The only time you are active in those sports is when you are batting or fielding a ball that is hit to you. We also want to get away from activities that make kids feel uncomfortable. If they are bad at hitting, the entire class is looking at them when they are up to bat.

    ReplyDelete