Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Physical Education

When I was in middle school and high school I always thought that Phys. Ed. class was a time to play sports and just have fun.  It wasn't until  I came to SRU that I realized it was a lot more than that.  I learned about the fitness components that can be done, the technology that can be used, and so much more that can be taught.  I found out that I could teach a whole class period about lifting and fitness components of Phys. Ed. instead of the traditional method of teaching sports.  Since I came to SRU my view of Physical Education has changed and hopefully we can change the views of the rest of those who used to think like I did.

3 comments:

  1. In 8th grade my wrestling coach told me how static stretching shouldn’t be done before activities. I wondered why it took 8 years for someone to teach me such a simple fact. I was the kid who got by with athletic ability and that was alright for me. Throughout high school however, I noticed that involvement in activities varied upon interests. This is a problem I think fitness based classes will help solve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, since I came to SRU my mind has been open to a whole new Phys. Ed class. I have a whole new perspective now about Physical Education. I wanted nothing more then to be a Physical Education Teacher before I came to SRU and since I've been here I have learned so much and I can't wait to get out there and see what all I can do. I love that there is actually set up values and curriculum for each level in Physical Education. After learning the values, I decided that I would love to be a high school Phys. Ed teacher, I feel like I would do my best with the high school students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the same way that I felt when i came to SRU. Growing up, both of my parents were PE teachers and I got to see what they did in their classes first hand. At my high school, all we every did was play basketball, football, and dodgeball. Both of my parents were actually doing some of the same things that we are learning about here. My mom's school has a fitness facility that has 3 TVs with will and DDR connected to them. Her school is actually trying to move in the right direction. However, my high school was the exact opposite.

    ReplyDelete